The Dream School


The cover page for Tshorwa the fourth
When my friend Nono Jimmy told me that we can still send our articles for our school magazine, Tshorwa the fifth, I felt like I never graduated or left the school. It was like I was still wearing the school uniform drenched with sweat on a hot summer day in Punakha. There was a series of beautiful memories reeling in my mind and for once, it was like sitting back among the editorial board and reading the articles for Tshorwa’s fourth edition. Being a member of the school magazine’s editorial team was actually reading Punakha Higher Secondary School. Not only the students voice were we going through but there were always a lot of people who’d keenly express their feelings about the school. The most amazing thing was that everyone had some kind of story with the school and may be the kind of stories which they mark it as the most unforgettable ones.

For me, getting admission in Punakha Higher Secondary School was a dream come true. I don’t know what exactly it was that planted in me the-never-wanting-to-relent from not going to this school but I had a strong desire study there. I felt like I wouldn’t have to worry about my future if I get to go to this school. I once was on the registration desk during the celebration of 41st School Foundation Day where the Alumini members joined and I noticed that everyone of them was still so proud to have studied in Punakha HSS. Everyone of them had reached success and were thanking the school. Well, I haven’t reached to the level where I can earn and stand on my own feet right now, but the school has fed me a lot of life lessons which I could have never learned if I hadn’t been there.

The best thing about being in Punakha Higher Secondary School is that you aren’t only the one who’s proud to be there. Everyone else has a pride in them for getting to wear the uniform of Punakha Higher Secondary School! It’s actually like a celebrity school: there are many people with various talents and everybody has a will to learn from eachother. I personally experienced having around people who really had a strong yearn for knowledge and it really motivated me.

I sometimes have a feeling that when Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal came to Bhutan and built the terrific Punakha Dzong in 1638, he might have had a vision that, opposite to the Dzong, on the other side of Puna Tsang Chhu, there’ll be a place where books will be read, talents discovered and knowledge flourished. He might’ve visualised that a school would bloom from among the trees and shine. And coincidently, he must have left some magical charms which I think is helping the school right now. But that’s just how I see in my own mind. If we see it evidently, the teachers and students of Punakha HSS are so hardworking. Everyone motivates eachother and are connected like the octagonal rings in a bee hive. The school buildings are more than forty years old, the auditoriums are not big enough and there are furniture as old as the buildings. But the school holds a great history, a history that can be told and retold from generation to generation, a history which will bring together families and a history which will make more histories.

If I ever be given three wishes to be granted by a fairy or just anybody, one of them would be to go back to Punakha higher Secondary School!

Comments

  1. Nice writing and made me remember mine. continue writing and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written Sonam! wishing you more success and waiting to read more of your articles!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comments. I am really glad you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb and keep writing, Sonam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely written,even i could flashback my high school days in phss.....kaching nug ta, keep on writing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sonam, it ws such a nice piece...i alys appreciated ur works n alys luking 4wad 4 reading more of ur works....it ws beautifully written...enjoyed it...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Thing about Merit

What is Time?

How Do We Stay Optimistic?