How Do We Stay Optimistic?


We’re in the midst of an angry whirlwind the pandemic has produced but I’d like to think that we’re nearing the end of it. Or the beginning. Of something else. I wouldn’t possibly know. I probably sat on this article for too long, desperately trying to write and miserably failing at every attempt. But what crazy two years it has been for all of us.

2022 didn’t start off quite well for me and while we’re already into the second half of the year now, I guess I’m still trying to find my way out of things I wish I hadn’t started. Robert Frost, a long long time ago said that the only way out is through, and perhaps it’s true. So sometimes it feels like my whole life’s purpose is hanging by a random figurative thread strung by a poet, who quite possibly, despised how the world functioned. But I have to say, the year has been transformative and it has brought out some good stories that can only be told over a drink someday, — Cautiously though, because not all stories I tell over a drink have yielded good responses. So let me slow down there. Laugh.

A lot of things have happened over the months that made me feel lost, overwhelmed and in some strange way also got me thinking, what an exciting time it is to be in Bhutan!

It’s mostly confusing at the moment and doesn’t take very long to swirl down, what seems like a tunnel of demotivation. There are so many transformations going on across sectors that are super important but may seem a little crazy, and even chaotic for some reason. But it’s definitely about time we saw some major shifts in Bhutan. It’s about time we saw a revolution. A rejuvenation perhaps, because we’re living by the name our forefathers have cultivated greatness in. 

Some days it really makes you think about how productive you are as a citizen. Are you doing enough? Are you thinking right? Are you even useful? Then most days, you’re just clocking in, rattling on the keyboard, trying to meet deadlines, drinking Tea, taking the direly needed break but only at your own expense, and setting unrealistic goals only because of the countless self-help books you’ve read. What, are we doing?

From the two jobs I switched since my graduation almost two years ago, I’ve constantly been told the impracticality of staying motivated at work. It’s always the case of being ignited with excitement initially and some unknown force suddenly or slowly, juicing the life out of you. Everyone once seems to have been ‘determined’ or ‘enjoying the work they do’ but somehow along their journey of ‘making a difference,’ some unfortunate events seem to have deteriorated their enthusiasm.

It makes me sad on the part of having to walk down a path that doesn’t seem to have any light at the end. Why take the path that seems to be so routined with gloom and apathy. On good days, I wake up motivated with a hope, that I may be able to travel the path differently, see things more optimistically and perhaps even pave a better journey for everyone else. But more often, it’s like standing on a slippery slope desperately wishing you had wings.

I love my work though, honestly. So after a lot of thinking, conversations and some readings, I’ve been able to frame the question we all might have. How do we stay optimistic? I think the real challenge right now is getting through the transition and making it to the other side. I don’t know if I know how to get to the other side without constantly feeling inadequate and unarmed. I always feel like I haven’t come across the right book yet or the right set of tools to move forward. So it is reasonably hilarious that I would have the courage to tell myself that the year has been transformative. The thing is, I like using nice words, because I believe we can manifest them but that’s on a whole another topic I’d like to discuss someday.

So I’ll sign off for this time. It has been cathartic beyond measure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Thing about Merit

What is Time?